Sunday, August 16, 2015

First and Second Flatiron

First Flatiron - Far Right (5.2) Free Solo
Second Flatiron - Freeway (5.0) Free Solo

August 12, 2015

I've only heard of and seen the Flatirons on social media, so I made my way up to climb them while in Boulder. Being alone, I wanted to do some fun 4th and low 5th class scrambles. I settled on climbing the Freeway route (5.0), which climbs the northernmost section of the Second Flatiron. I made my way up the route in about 20 minutes up fun and easy terrain. I reached the saddle, where a dozen or more hikers were taking in the view. I scrambled to the summit via some exposed and blocky terrain.

I descended the popular trail that leads up between the 1st and 2nd Flatirons, I couldn't help but be drawn to the steep, continous face of the 1st flatiron. I jumped on the far right route (5.2) and meandered my way to the top. I probably got off route, because I encountered a couple moves much harder than 5.2. Eventually I reached the ridge and followed it to the summit.

The Flatirons

View from the Second Flatiron looking south towards the Third
The First Flatiron from the Second
Looking down my route on the Second

Looking up my route on the First Flatiron. Fun flakes, cracks and slab climbing 
Looking down about midway up the First Flatiron
Overlooking Boulder from the First Flatiron 
Waiting for roped climbers on the First Flatiron
Overlooking Boulder from the First Flatiron
Looking south
Looking down