Thursday, August 27, 2015

Evans and Bierstadt - Tour de'Abyss

Mt. Bierstadt (14,065 ft.)
Mt. Evans (14,265 ft.)

August 25, 2015

Tour de Abyss Loop (Class 3)
5.72 miles
3,377 ft. elevation gain

This route seemed to be the most interesting way to get both peaks in one go. I parked my car at a small pullout at the bottom of the steep switchbacks in the road up to Mt. Evans (see map for starting point). I dropped down into the Abyss Basin and began the loop starting up the East Ridge of Mt. Bierstadt (class 3). I followed the ridge around the entire basin until I reached Mt. Evans and then dropped back down to my car. A fun, quick outing that involved summiting 2 more 14er's.


Sunrise through the inverted smoky haze
Rocks in the Abyss Basin
Sunrise on the Sawtooth
East Ridge of Mt. Bierstadt
Looking down East Ridge from Bierstadt summit ridge
Gray's and Torrey's out there
Shadows of the Sawtooth ridge
Goats on the ridge
Panorama of Bierstadt and Abyss Lake below
A nice view of the parking lot near the summit of Mt. Evans
Bighorn Sheep