Monday, July 21, 2014

White Baldy Peak via West Ridge (Class 3)

7-19-14 White Baldy Peak

My Dad (61), my friend Kyle and myself climbed one of the highest and challenging peaks in the Wasatch on Saturday - White Baldy Peak.  Often overlooked by the prominent and well-known Pheifferhorn, White Baldy is more challenging, more fun, and a good warm-up for the Grand Teton, which we plan to do in Mid-August.

We began our hike on Saturday morning around 7:15 am. We followed the trail up to Red Pine Lakes and then scrambled over and up a boulder field to the saddle on the west ridge of White Baldy.  From the ridge, we scrambled up 1,000 vertical ft of class 3 terrain to the summit.  We enjoyed a windless and sunny, yet cool summit for 20 minutes before we made our descent.  

Unfortunately, on the descent, we decided to take a direct path down on loose rocks instead of staying on the solid summit ridge with sure footing.  By the time we reached the meadows near the upper Red Pine lakes area, we were pooped.  My dad soaked his feet in the creek and I jumped in the lake.  When I got out, I saw the sign which read, "No Swimming."  OOOPS. We were back to our car around 3 pm. ~ 8 hours round trip.
Dad hiking around the Lake with White Baldy in the distance
Some nice, steep, and exposed class 3 scrambling on the summit ridge
A cool pinnacle on the summit ridge, I had to get on top of it
Looking down to Red Pine Lakes from the summit ridge
Summit shot with my pop
Bath time.  Sorry watershed users (i.e. Salt Lake residents)