Monday, April 7, 2014

"Trail" Running the Middle Provo River

The middle section of the Provo River extends from Jordanelle Dam through the Heber Valley until it empties into Deer Creek Reservoir.  I recently began a project to scout out the trails along the Provo River in this section to see if I could get some trail running in while the snow lingers in the mountains. My scouting report indicates that trail running is possible, though not straightforward.

I have run most of the Middle Provo trail in sections and I brought my little mini Labradoodle with me each time.  The trails are mostly fisherman trails and therefore are not maintained.  And since fisherman usually where waders, the trail will suddenly disappear and reappear on the opposite side of the river or go around (via the river) thick brush or beaver dams or whatever and sometimes it just disappears entirely.  Fortunately, for me and my dog, we thrive on adventures.  Route-finding, bushwhacking, river-fording, debris-hopping, swamp-sinking, boulder-stepping, and occasionally aesthetic trail running makes for a good physical and mental workout.  This type of running is more adventure running than trail running and I like it.  

Our next goal, dog included, is to link up the entire middle Provo into one long adventure run, from the Jordanelle Dam to the Deer Creek Reservoir.  I estimate it's about 12 miles in length.    

Lots of obstacles along the Provo River
Some great sections of trail
Some sections of no trail at all