Friday, August 3, 2012

Park City Ridge Trail Run - Training continues

Park City Ridge
Trail Running

Today, August 2, 2012 I decided last minute to do a little trail running.  I had nothing better to do.  My dad dropped me off at Guardsman Pass and I followed the northwest-southeast Park City Ridge back down to Midway where I had my Dad pick me up in 1.5 hours.

This ridge run has a nice network of single-track and double-track trails that extends into the Park City resorts and along the entire ridge until you reach Phosphate Peak (The Peak), which overlooks Midway, UT.  The ridge gained a cumulative 1163 ft, but overall the route I choose is downhill.  I started at 9600 ft and ended at 7200 ft.

                                          Park City Ridge route



If you didn't read my last post, which you should, I am training to run the Wonderland Trail in less than 48 hours*.  The trail circumnavigates Mt. Rainier in 93 miles and gains a cumulative of 22,000 ft.  Thats like climbing** Mt. Rainier 2.5 times!  However I am more concerned about the elevation loss.  The significant uphill will be grueling, but the downhill will just plain hurt.  For training, I am trying to incorporate a lot of elevation loss and get my quads and knees in shape for the torture to come.

*The average backpacker takes 10-12 days to complete the trail

**Most climbers take about 48 hours to climb the mountain once (I did).

Thanks Dad!